You will need:
- 1 card blank (or card cut and folded to make a card)
- One or two pieces of paper for the background (optional)
- The letters, H, A, P, P, Y in capitals cut out from a magazine or printed out from your computer
- The word 'birthday' cut out or printed out
- Small pieces of card in different colours
- Small lengths of ribbon in different colours
- 6 small sequins
- 1 or 2 other embellishments, such as hearts or flowers (optional)
- glue pen
- sticky dots - these are available from your local craft shop or online from eBay or other craft retailers
Cost: US$0-5 (or perhaps a bit more if you have to buy many of the materials)
- Glue the background paper to the front of the card
- Tear off (or cut off with a wavy edge) a small amount of different paper in contrasting colours and glue it across the centre of the card
- If you wish, you can omit steps one and two and just have a plain background
- Glue the letters, H, A, P, P, and Y onto different coloured pieces of card.
- Cut out squares of card around the letters - the edges don't all have to be straight, they can be slightly sloping (see the picture)
- Glue a sequin to each letter in a different place
- Cut five small lengths of ribbon and fold each in half
- Peel off one side of a sticky dot and affix to the back of one of the letters, near the bottom.
- Peel off one side of another sticky dot and fix it to the end of the folded ribbon but do not cover all of the sticky dot with the ribbon (so that it will also stick to the card).
- Fix this sticky dot to the back of the letter, near to the top
- Peel off the other side of the backing from both sticky dots and carefully affix to the middle of the card
- Repeat steps 8 to 11 for each of the five letters
- Stick the word 'Birthday' to a piece of card and cut out a rectangle shape
- Stick a sequin to the rectangle
- Cut out two small lengths of ribbon and affix them to the back of the rectangle with a sticky dot (as above), so that the ribbon is just peeping out from side of the rectangle
- Affix the whole of the rectangle to the bottom of the card with 3 or 4 sticky dots
- Use sticky dots to affix other embellishments to the card, such as hearts or flowers, if you wish.
It may sound complicated but it really isn't. I admit that I made this card from a kit, so I had all of the materials to hand, but it took me less than an hour to make and I enjoyed it immensely. It was a nice, relaxing activity.
I like making cards because you can get a quick result. With so many other crafts, it takes several sessions to complete a project, but, with card making, you can complete one or more cards in one craft session.